w

The LeAndrese Family Blog

a current look at happenings in the life of the leandrese family

Monday, December 04, 2006

Sinterklaas Fever

Tomorrow is "Sinterklaas" in the Netherlands, which is kind of the Dutch version of Santa Claus. Sintaklaas comes on the evening of December 5 and brings children presents and candies. Actually, Sintaklaas first arrived in Holland about three weeks ago, and kids who leave their shoes out get treats in their shoes every night until December 5 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Marieke). Elliott is a bit too young to understand all this, so we don't have to do much this year. Furthermore, the current festivities have been lost on him because he's still recovering from a rough week and a half: he had a respiratory infection, which required that he and Megan remain home-bound for the whole week. But he's much better, and is starting to show shades of his former adventerous, happy self.

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, we've tried to make our home feel Christmasy. We've hung up lights and an advent calendar, and we bought an evergreen wreath from the market which gives the living room and kitchen a nice pine smell. Christmas music is constantly playing on our computer. All we need to do now is get a Christmas tree and presents!

If Sintaklaas wasn't enough, our week gets even better on Friday, when Gwen and Ryan arrive to visit! They'll be staying with us for the weekend. We don't have any set plans yet, but we'll probably take it easy while they get over their jet lag. We're still holding out hope that we'll have the green-light to move into our new apartment by then, but we may have to make due with what we have for another couple of weeks, unfortunately.

One last thing: Megan became one step closer to complete integration into Dutch society with her purchase of a pair of boots this weekend. Pics to come later...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to miss the Sinterklaas festivities this year. Not that I was getting a lot of presents and certainly not in my shoe anymore, because Sinterklaas only comes to small childeren, but still, the whole atmosphere around it is great. And not to forget all the great candy!! I still have some chocolate letters, pepernoten, etc waiting for my for tomorrow evening, when I'll be singing Sinterklaas songs in front of my heating system. Hopefully, the next morning there will be some presents in my shoe, because I know I'v been a good girl all year. ;-)
BTW, everything you wrote was correct, except for Sintaklaas, which should be Sinterklaas.
Hopefully, next year Elliott will not be sick so he can enjoy all the festivities!!

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I see oliebollen are now also on your favorite things list!! I just found out this weekend that the bars in SF have to close at 2.00 on New Years eve as well. So sad, in Holland they stay open until breakfast (which is sometimes even included). Is there a typical thing people in the US eat on New Years Eve?

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the boots Megan! You are officially Euopean now.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cameron, Megan and Elliott!

I hope all is well in the Netherlands. I saw a bunch of pictures from Karen and Grandma Faithe of their trip to see you. Looks like they had a fun time! I hope you enjoy your time with the Andres this holiday season. Elliott looks absolutely adorable. He is growing so fast!

Merry Christmas cousins! Take care!

Love
Becca

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home